Frequently Asked Questions

Click on the question to expand the answer.

Q: Does RHLS provide legal representation for individuals facing foreclosure or eviction?

RHLS does not provide legal representation for individuals facing foreclosure, eviction, or for other housing related matters.  Scroll down to find resources for individuals seeking legal representation.

Q: How can I find an attorney or access legal resources?

The PA Legal Aid Network provides a search tool to find a legal aid office or public service attorney. provides a comprehensive website that offers legal resources for a variety of issues.

Q: Does RHLS provide any information about tenant rights and evictions during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) crisis?

Please click here for information on Coronavirus-related tenant, homeowner and utility protections.

 Q: Where can I locate information about utility issues?

The Pennsylvania Utility Law Project (PULP) provides helpful descriptions of various types of assistance programs for low-income individuals. Additionally, you can access information on managing your utility bills by clicking here. Your local legal aid office may be able to provide assistance if you are at risk for having your utility services terminated, or if they have already been terminated.

The Pennsylvania Office of Consumer Advocates provides a general explanation of utility resources for consumers and the Pennsylvania Utility Commission (PUC) also offers information about various assistance programs, including phone numbers.

Q: Where can I locate affordable rental housing?

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development has a subsidized apartment search on its website. Residents of Pennsylvania can utilize the Pennsylvania Housing Finance Agency’s Affordable Housing Locator. Further, many local housing authority websites, such as the Philadelphia Housing Authority or Allegheny County Housing Authority, have listings of available housing and programs.

Q: What is LIHTC?

The Low-Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) is the most important resource for creating affordable housing in the United States today. Click here for more information on how it works.

Q: Where can I locate information about tenant rights? has a comprehensive list of resources and publications regarding tenant rights. For residents of Philadelphia, the Tenant Union Representative Network offers a variety of housing related services including tenant rights workshops and individual counseling, hotline assistance, organizing assistance, as well as rental and mortgage assistance.

Q: Where can I find information about foreclosure prevention?

The Pennsylvania Housing Finance Agency has a complete list of approved credit counseling agencies by county An approved housing counseling agency should offer services at no or very low cost .

Q: Where do RHLS and PULP attorneys practice?

A: Both Regional Housing Legal Services (RHLS) and the Pennsylvania Utility Law Project (PULP) serve residents throughout the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Our main office is located in Glenside, Pennsylvania, approximately ten minutes outside of Philadelphia. We also have offices in Pittsburgh and Harrisburg. Please visit our contact page for more information.

Q: I think that my organization could use your services. How do I submit a request?

Click here to submit a request for services. RHLS staff review each service request and determine whether we are able to accommodate it. When you fill out the form, make sure to have the following information and documents available: your most recent audit, Form 990, or budget; your unrestricted net assets and total expenses last year; your Federal Employer Identification Number; income information for your clientele; and basic information about the project.

Q: How can I stay up to date on the latest information about RHLS?

A: You can like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter to get information about the latest news, information about staff, policy issues, and other updates.